Depression-Effective Natural Remedies
By Larry Cook
Depression can be caused by many factors, but one consistent theme that has proven to be true in numerous studies is that the brain chemistry is not correctly balanced. Traditional therapy involves drug therapy, which artificially manipulates the brain chemistry to approximate normality, but doesn't actually solve the problem. Side effects occur because drugs are not natural-they are man-made. As such, drugs are poison. The brain and body becomes poisoned if the body can't get rid of poison, which of course is what happens when one takes drugs on a regular basis.
Drugs mask the primary underlying problem: unbalanced brain chemistry. The solution then is to regain proper brain chemistry. One regains proper brain chemistry by:
1) Eliminating offending toxins in the body and brain, usually through fasting, colon cleansing and taking substances such as wheat grass, enzymes, herbs and green kamut, which will bind to the toxins and escort them out of the body.
2) Changing one's diet to ingest only foods which are free of contaminants such as pesticides, herbicides, chlorine, fluoride, food additives and preservatives, hormones, anti-biotics, food colorings and dyes, preservatives and other toxins that contaminate the bulk of our food supply (and therefore our brains). Chemicals are poisons and poisons upset brain chemistry. My suggestion, in this order, is to eat: Whole foods (grains, vegetables, etc.), organic foods, vegetarian, vegan-vegetarian (no dairy/eggs) and then macrobioticly (which balances the Yin/Yang of the body).
3) Take whole food concentrates and mineral/vitamin/herbal supplements which have extra doses of necessary nutrients and energetic properties.
Minerals play a critical role in the eradication of depression. Virtually everyone is deficient in minerals. In 1936, U.S. Senate document #264 stated 99% of all Americans are mineral deficient. Soil conditions are worse today. If one is depressed, you can be virtually guaranteed that that person is deficient in several minerals.
Amino acids play a critical role as well. And of course so do vitamins, enzymes and essential fatty acids, especially Omega 3 and Omega 6.
I suggest reading five books:
1. "Diet For A New America" by John Robbins. A great overview of the relationship between the Standard American Diet (SAD) and poor health found in most people. One the best books written and guaranteed to change your life.
2. "Cleanse and Purify Thyself" by Dr. Richard Anderson. A great book which explains the necessity to cleanse the colon. A dirty colon prevents nutrients from entering our bloodstream and also causes toxins to be distributed throughout the body, causing disease and cancer. A must read.
3. "Wheat Grass-Nature's Finest Medicine" by Steve Meyerowitz. Wheat grass is one of those "cure-all" substances because it does such a great job of cleansing and purifying the blood. Another must read.
4. "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James & Phyllis Balch. An excellent reference book which gives alternative treatments for depression and other ailments by using minerals, vitamins, herbs and other supplements and treatments.
5. A book on macrobiotic eating. My favorite is "Basic Macrobiotics," but it is out of print. Once you understand why and how to balance the polarity of your food, you will have a new understanding of how the energy of food affects you and how to use it to your benefit. For example: Sugar is too Yin, or expanding, causing all kinds of problems, namely being too "spacey" and "ungrounded." Red meat is too Yang, or contracting, causing one to be aggressive. Try to avoid sugar (in all forms) and red meat. Scan some books at a natural food store until you find one you like.
If you follow the above outline for learning, you will know more about how to achieve vibrant health, and completely eradicate depression, than most medical doctors.
Nutritional Supplements and Course of Action for the Eradication of Depression
Cell Tech's Omega Sun Super Blue Green Algae
Super Blue Green Algae is harvested from Klamath Lake in Southern Oregon. Omega Sun is the freeze dried version of the algae, with the glycogen protein cell wall removed (constituting a major percentage of the weight), leaving a high amount of vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll, amino acids and neuropeptides, all which have been shown in research to help eradicate depression. Omega Sun is a whole food concentrate. As such, it will help provide one with the nutrition needed to eradicate depression. Available through independent distributors. Take six capsules per day; four in the morning, two in the afternoon until depression has been eradicated for two full months, then reduce to a maintenance of two per day.
Klamath Lake Brand Blue Green Algae
This has the glycogen protein cell wall attachedit's the whole food. An excellent source of nutrition. Packed with vitamins, neuropeptides, minerals, chlorophyll, and amino acids. If you are taking Omega Sun, take two capsules in the morning. If not, take six of these in the morning and two in the afternoon. Take until depression has been eradicated for two full months, then reduce to two capsules a day if taking Omega Sun, and three or four if not. Found at natural food stores (and less expensive than Cell Tech's equivalent Alpha Sun).
Enzymes control virtually all metabolic activity in the body. They also move toxins out of the body. Take two in the morning and one with lunch and one with dinner. Pickled foods and Miso paste also contain enzymes. Found in the natural food stores.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 Fatty Acids build our neural pathways. Good for depression and ADD/ADHD. Omega 3 Fatty Acids can be found in flax seed oil and some other high-quality oils. Look in the refrigerator section of the natural food store for this product. Read the labels. Only buy organic. Take double the recommended dose until depression is eradicated, then back to normal dose.
Wheat Grass Juice or Green Kamut for Detoxification
Wheat grass juice and Green Kamut will help detoxify your body. Get rid of those toxins stored in your fat cells! You can buy wheat grass juice at "juice bars." Or, you can juice it on your own (highly recommended). I suggest 6 oz. of wheat grass a per day. Wheat grass is one of the best detoxification substances you can take, and I highly recommend it. Find wheat grass juicers and wheat grass at most natural food stores. Green Kamut also detoxifies the body, and can be found at natural food stores.
Kava Kava and St. John's Wart
Natural anti-depressants. Try them out. Found at your natural food stores.
You do require mineral supplements (we all do). The land that food is grown on, even organic food, is devoid of all the minerals we need. The real question is, "Which mineral supplement ought I take." Liquid colloidal or chelated minerals are good to start with. Stay away from supermarket brands. Buy at the natural food store. Some multi-level companies offer these supplements. Look in the natural food store for combination packages and try different brands. I take "Trace Mineral Research" brand of liquid minerals. I squirt some into each gallon of purified water that I buy.
Specific Minerals/Trace Minerals for Depression
Research has found that a lack of magnesium, boron or zinc can definitely lead to depression. Taking some extra of any of these would be good, especially zinc.
Dosages: Magnesium: 250 mg. 450 mg. per day. Boron: 3 mg. per day. Zinc: not over 150 mg. per day. 25 mg. is probably fine. Also, liquid zinc is very good even though it's less concentrated. The liquid form produces better absorption.
(From Dr. Alexander Strauss, a leading researcher for natural food stores)
Other Supplements for Depression
B-12 and Vitamin E are good for memory and depression.
L. Tyrosine taken 3X a day @ 2 grams per day.
Inositol @ 12 grams per day
Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pyridoxine, Biotin and Vitamin C
(From Dr. Alexander Strauss, a leading researcher for natural food stores)
Anti-oxidants remove free-radicals. Free radicals cause damage to cells. Grape seed extract, vitamin C and beta-carotene are good sources of anti-oxidants. Take regularly.
My understanding is that homeopathy works on the whole being, primarily the consciousness. Homeopathy does work to alleviate depression. You will want to consult with a Naturopathic Doctor for an evaluation because treatments vary depending on symptoms. Whatever the Homeopathic remedy however, it's still important to achieve proper diet and take whole food/mineral supplements. Homeopathy is not nutrition. Think of it as a compliment to eradicating toxins and securing proper nutrition.
Do A Colon Cleanse & Enema
Clean out the colon to remove heavy metals and improve nutrient absorption. Very important. Take Bentonite (a clay that pulls out toxins) and Psyllium Husk (roughage that expands dramatically in the intestines to pull out fecal mucoid matter). An enema also cleans out the colon. Consult "Cleanse & Purify Thyself" for more information or talk with a knowledgeable person at your natural food store. See article: Detoxification Overview: How To Eliminate Disease Causing Poisons
See A Naturopathic Doctor
I suggest visiting a Naturopath Doctor who can test to see what minerals and other nutrients you may be lacking. You will want to do a "Hair Analysis Test" which will test for heavy metal poisoning and mineral imbalances. Very important test. You may also have food allergies that a Naturopath can help you determine. Plus, there are a host of other problems that can be manifesting that simply requires the experience of a trained professional who will help you figure out what toxins to eliminate and what nutrients to put in. Visiting a Naturopath is my first choice specialist for depression.