Natural Beauty Products Are Safer & Work Better
By Summer Bender
Beauty is more than skin deep. For this reason, it is also
crucial to know what your beauty products are made of before applying
Many ingredients in skin cosmetics are synthetic chemicals. My advice is that if you don't know what it is, don't use it because your skin does not distinguish between slightly toxic synthetic and non-toxic natural ingredients. Everything you put on your skin is absorbed into your body.
Many products claim to have natural or herbal formulas, but only contain a few herbs and a slew of chemicals. Petrolatum, for example, found in some lip products, tends to counteract the body's natural moisturizing device, leaving you with just what it claims to help-dry, chapped lips! It's known to promote sun damage!
Here's a helpful list of five synthetic cosmetic ingredients to avoid, complimentary of Aubrey Organics (my personal natural beauty favorite!):
1) Imidazolidinyl urea and Diazolidinyl urea: Commonly used preservative. Primary cause of contact dermatitis.
2) Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, Ethyl Paraben: Inhibits microbial growth, helps extend shelf life of products. Widely used even though known to be toxic.
3) Propylene Glycol- Synthetic petro-chemical mix used as a humectant. Known to cause allergic and toxic reactions.
4) Sodium Lauryl Sulfate- Used in shampoos for it's detergent and foam-building abilities. Can cause eye irritation, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf, and allergic reactions.
5) Triethanolamine- Often used to adjust the PH and also as a base for cleansers. TEA cause allergic reactions such as eye problems, dryness of hair and skin and can be toxic after repeated use.
In comparison, look at the all-natural ingredients in Aubrey's Herbal Facial Cleanser and Astringent for example. Instead of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate to increase lather, Aubrey uses a natural vegetarian soap base of coconut oil, olive oil, and castille combined with wheat or soya protein. For PH balance Aubrey uses lemon juice and muriatic acid, and herbal oils and essential fatty acids to create an all-natural absorption base that leaves skin fully renewed and restored. As a preservative, Aubrey uses a blend of citrus seed extract and Vitamin A, C, and E that holds shelf life for a year. And all the ingredients are guaranteed fresh!
Witch hazel is another natural ingredient that does wonders for the skin. It contains generous amounts of tannins-potent astringents that help with skin problems by increasing blood flow to the affected area to promote healing. Tea tree oil is also commonly found in natural beauty products and is great for problem skin.
For more information or help choosing products, come see us at Eat Right Health Foods, located in the Albertson's Shopping Center in Belgrade. We have a full range of natural beauty items and knowledgable people to help create a healthier you. Mention this article and get $1 off on any Aubrey Product! Stop in Monday-Saturday, 10-8 and Sunday 10-5!!